FAQ Banner

What is the International Application process?
First, download the International Student Application. Next, complete and send in to CLCS by mail or courier service. Please include: all pages marked “Return to CLCS”, translated transcripts, a copy of the first page of the passport, $300 USD (non-refundable) for the I-20 Fee, and $300 USD (non-refundable) for the Application Fee. Enrollment for the Fall Term is open through summer, as space is available. We encourage students to enroll by July 30th, so we will have sufficient time to process paperwork and visas. Enrollment for the Spring Term is open until January 1st.

Does Clear Lake Christian School offer E.S.L.?
Yes, we offer an E.S.L. course for our International students which focuses on reading comprehension, speaking skills, and vocabulary. We also offer tutorials for other specific courses an International student may need help in, such as Math, Science, or History.

Is Clear Lake Christian School just a language school?
No, CLCS is a standard private high school in the state of Texas. Our school has an American to International student ratio of 70:30. We are accredited through the International Christian Accrediting Association, and members of: Association of Christian Schools International, Advanced ED, Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools.

Are English proficiency tests required for admittance, such as TOEFL and SLEP?
No, we do not require TOEFL or SLEP tests. We gladly accept SLEP test results if they are available. An English-proficiency test will be administered upon the student’s arrival to CLCS.

How long does it take to process an application and receive an I-20?
Once an International Student Application is received, it is reviewed by the International Admissions Committee and decided upon for admittance. The student or agency will then be notified of acceptance via e-mail, along with an invoice, and must contact the Business Office to make payment arrangements. The student or agency will be required to submit payment of one full semester by wire-transfer. CLCS will then send the I-20 and other admission documents by Priority Mail, which generally takes 7 days to arrive.

What type of visa does Clear Lake Christian School issue? Can I use a J1 visa at CLCS?
CLCS issues the I-20 for the F1 student visa, which is for multiple years. The J1 visa is a student exchange visa that is only good for one academic year, usually used by a standard public school. CLCS does not issue J1 visas, and we do not get involved with trying to switch from a J1 to an F1 visa. We are strictly F1.

What is your refund policy?
The International Application Fee and International I-20 Application Fee are both non-refundable. If a student is denied a visa for any reason, CLCS will return 100% of the paid tuition by wire-transfer. Once a student has arrived and enrolled at CLCS, the current semester is non-refundable. If adequate time and communication is not given before a withdrawal, we reserve the right to charge a Late-Withdrawal Fee in the amount of one-fourth of the tuition.

What percentage of students graduate, and what percentage of students continue on to a university?
CLCS proudly graduates 100% of our students, and sends 97.5% on to a university.

Is an international student required to bring a laptop computer?
No, it is not required, but many of our students bring a laptop. CLCS has an on-campus computer lab and Student Center for those without laptops.

Do you offer a Host Home program?
Yes, we have families who are well qualified and intensely screened, who have opened their homes to host International students. They offer space and privacy for each student. Students may be the only students in a host home, or live in the “Mini-Dorms” which are host homes that have constructed a space for multiple students to live. This is a unique experience, because the students will receive an American home environment as well as a dormitory setting. Space is limited for “Mini-Dorms” and the tuition is slightly higher.

Do Host Homes close seasonally?
Our families open their homes to students during the school year. Host Homes view our International students as family, not guests, during the school holidays including Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and spring break. CLCS usually offers a planned spring break trip, but it is optional and costs extra. Male and female students are not permitted to plan a trip to stay together during these breaks. All travel must be arranged around the proper dates of the school calendar.

What are the airports in Houston, and is airport transportation available?
Houston has two major airports: IAH and HOU. Yes, CLCS has transportation available.

What are the graduation credit requirements?
Bible: 4 units. English: 4 units. Mathematics: 4-5 units (Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Advanced Math, Trigonometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus). Science: 4 units (Integrated Physics and Chemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Honors Science). Social Studies: 4 units (World Geography, World History, United States History). U.S. Government: 1/2 unit. Economics: 1/2 unit. Computer Technology: 1 unit. Speech: 3/4 unit. Health: 1/2 unit. Physical Education/Sports: 1 1/2 units. Foreign Language: 2 units. Electives: 2 1/2 units. *Please note: Student placement will depend on the amount of credits a student has earned at other schools before arriving at CLCS. Not all credits will transfer, and certain courses are required by the State of Texas to graduate.

Does Clear Lake Christian School accept transfer students?
Yes, we accept transfer students from American and International schools. Most credits will transfer from an American school, and most credits for an International school. An International student holding an I-20 for the F1 visa who is studying at another American school must also have his or her I-20 transferred to CLCS. We will gladly assist in the process.

What religion is Clear Lake Christian School affiliated with?
CLCS is a Christian school, but welcomes students of all faith backgrounds.

What are the costs of the International program?
Please contact the International Department at 281-488-4883 for information on tuition rates, fees and payment requirements.

Are the graduation and diploma requirements the same for International and American students, regarding the foreign language requirement?
Texas requires two of the following fine arts credits: foreign language, art, or music. The student’s native language courses generally fulfill the two fine arts credit requirements.

Do you offer any discounts to International students?
Please check with our Financial Office for current discounts.

Does Clear Lake Christian School work with International Education Agencies? Yes. For more information, please contact the International Department: 281-488-4883.

International Application ButtonContact CLCS Button